Anybody who’s been faithfully reading JHH for any amount of time knows I’m a big Freddie Gibbs fan. There are a lot of folks out there who still haven’t heard of him though, something that I find unacceptable. He’s been rockin’ since ‘01 so there’s a lot of tracks to sift through, which can make an artist like this tough to get into. Here’s where I’d start if I were you:
- National Anthem was Gangsta Gibbs’ first big hit (as far as I know). It’s wicked dope & has a quality video to go with it, so this is a solid place to start. Pretty good chance this chorus will be stuck in your head for a day or two.
- This remix of the classic Souls of Mischief track pretty much sums up Freddie’s views on women…
- He can spit like a madman too, as he demonstrates by viciously ripping this Big L instrumental. Whoa.
- Young Jeezy scooped Gibbs up recently & brought him into the CTE fold, so we’re starting to hear him over some more southern sounding beats- he hasn’t switched his flow a bit though. This right here is my shit.
- That doesn’t mean he won’t drop a track with Madlib out of nowhere though. This track literally just appeared one day. No promo- nothin. He absolutely ripped it though…then proceeded to film the most thugged out video I’ve seen in a long time. He’s droppin gems too, so hit replay when it’s done. (“Teach your kid at your crib or your children might cop an ounce from me”)
- You might be asking yourself, does this man ever chill? The answer: kind of…Peep this track with Alchemist & Curren$y. Real smooth jam.
If you’re feeling any of that at all, I’d suggest you hit Datpiff & download both of these mixtapes:
- The Miseducation of Freddie Gibbs: This is the classic Gibbs sound. Well produced too.
- Cold Day in Hell: His newest tape, since signing with Jeezy. I like it a lot.
That should be enough to get you started. Plenty more music though if you decide to keep digging. Click Here if you want to check out the Gibbs tracks that I’ve featured on Just Hip-Hop in the past. Lots of random singles, dope features, etc.